Bank: National Bank of Scotland
Place of work: Edinburgh Blenheim Place branch
Died: 28 June 1915
John Robertson was born at Glenisla, Alyth, on 6 June 1874, the son of Alexander and Annie Mackenzie Robertson. He was educated at Glenisla Public School and the Harris Academy, Dundee.
In October 1893 Robertson went to work for National Bank of Scotland as an apprentice at its Kirriemuir branch. In June 1898 he transferred, as teller, to the bank's Edinburgh Elm Row branch, which during his time there was renamed Blenheim Place branch. In November 1906 he moved to the bank's head office in Edinburgh as second exchange teller. In February 1913 he returned to Blenheim Place branch as agent.
While at Kirriemuir, Robertson had served in a volunteer battalion of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), and when he moved to Edinburgh he transferred to the Queen's Edinburgh Rifles, the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment). He was commissioned in 1910, and by 1913 had reached the rank of Captain, in command of the Battalion's Bankers' Company.
On the outbreak of war in 1914 Robertson volunteered for service abroad. He landed at the Dardanelles on 11 June 1915, and was killed in action there on 28 June 1915. He was 41 years old and left a widow, Jane, whom he had married in 1913.